Funding is available to serve women who are Displaced Homemakers and who wish to re-enter the workforce. A Displaced Homemaker is someone who has lost her source of income upon the death, divorce, separation, disability, or dislocation of a spouse or pending loss of Public Assistance benefits.
The Capital District Women's Employment & Resource Center (WERC) is one of 13 New York State Displaced Homemaker Centers providing services to help women return to the workforce. For more information about the Displaced Homemakers Program, please visit NYS Department of Labor.
Career Readiness Services
- Career Exploration
- Resume Preparation
- Cover Letter Review
- Presenting a Professional Image
- Prepare Yourself for the Interview
- Helpful Hints For Civil Service Exams
- How To Advance On The Job
- The Center is equipped with an up-to-date computer laboratory with personal computers, a laser printer, an Active Board, the most current version of business suite software, and access to the Internet.
- Weekly computer training is instructor-led, which helps students increase their user proficiency, learn new applications, address specific questions, and know how to effectively search for jobs via the Internet.
- Our full-time Employment & Training Coordinator is on-site to assist participants in finding employment and employers who are looking to hire qualified employees.
- Job Search Strategies
- Employer Referrals
- Local Employer Visits
- Internet Job Search
- Posting Your Resume to the Web
- Resume Attachments
Classes are held at the Capital District Women's Employment & Resource Center in Albany from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm and focus on the skills needed to obtain employment.
- Workplace Expectations - Job Descriptions
- Employer & Guest Speaker Visits Comment
- Developing Stronger Communication Skills
- Computer Literacy: Microsoft Word, Internet, and E-mail
- Financial Management
- Job placement assistance provided during and after the completion of the training program
Class size is limited. Please call (518) 242-8249 for more information and to register.